Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nervous already

So its a bit weird to me that I have been getting nervous for my long runs lately....or not.  I do tend to get nervous for big events but usually only when its the real thing.   I think its because they are longer than I have ever done before and it means I am getting closer to the real thing.  This week I will be running 4, 9, 5 and 18.  Really? 

Little long run recaps:
Last weekend I did the 16.  I refuelled well and also took two of the Hammer Endurolytes (Electrolyte Replenshment).  I really do think they worked a lot.  I didn't feel as thirsty during the run and my muscles didn't ache as much.  I also tried the Hammer Recoverite...I like that also. It tasted really good and went down easy.  It is difficult for me to eat anything heavy after a long run so I do prefer to drink my recovery food. 

Now this weekend I did 12.  It was torturous.  There were a few times that I questioned myself and thought "What the hell am I doing?!" It just goes to show you that you could have good days and bad....whatever the mileage.  I don't know what it was.  I think it may have been that I left later in the day...only 45 minutes but its friggin hot out there....or that I was just darn tired.  Some days your body just isn't into the training schedule that your mind has planned for it.  Its days like these though that I make sure I finish because that is the toughness I believe I am going to need at about mile 20...or 21, 22, 23. 24, 25 and 26.... 

My job before this weeks long run is to pick out my race outfit.  I want to try everything on this long run and the next to make sure everything feels okay.  I want to look into getting compression shorts and thinner socks.  Any suggestions???  I think I am going to stick with my Nike sportsbra and Nike top...and of course my tried and true Brookes. 

Compression shorts suggestions? 
Sock suggestions?
Did you ever have a run that made you question what the hell you are doing out there?

10 comments:

  1. I like my 2XU compression shorts, but have found that compression shorts don't allow for carrying anything extra real easy. I use Drymax socks for everyday training, but race in Injinji toe socks. I find that they offer me extra protection for my toes on the long runs. I will be using them for my marathon in Sept. and the 50K this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my shorter runs have seemed much harder than my longer runs. I did a 15 miler that seemed way harder than the 20 I did the week before. How can that be? Just trust your training plan and keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I can totally relate. I was scared to death for all of my long runs when I trained for my 1st marathon. You would have thought they were all races the way I treated them. I have at least 1 run a week that I question what in the hell I am doing. It is completely normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah - 2 weeks ago I could barely do 4 miles on the treadmill on my "long run" day. I hadn't slept well the night before (crying baby) and it was soooooo hot in the gym (and hotter outside). Then yesterday I did 7.5 miles outside and felt great. It has so much to do with how well rested I am the night before.

    As for socks: I have thin Brooks ankle socks that I love. They have a little band around the arch that's tighter than the rest of the sock. Super thin and super comfy. But then again, I'm not doing as long distances as you....

    I'm curious about compression shorts too. Can't wait to see more comments on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will do great on your 18! Positive thinking and breaking it up into smaller segments always helps me out. Get some good tunes going too. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love Balega socks. I ONLY wear these while running long. If you're worried about carrying things while wearing compression shorts (which I have no suggestions for those), I use a Amphipod waist pack (you know, fanny pack) that is terrific. It stretches to carry a bunch of things, but stays absolutely put on the hips. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely have runs like that...sometimes its the really long ones and sometimes the short ones. I never know what it is but I think the nerves are sometimes good because it forces me to simulate "race mentality" which normally helps me really prepare!

    I really really love my CEP compression socks for long races but not sure if thats what you are looking for or not?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have LOVED my CW-X compression shorts and capris. They're a bit spendy, but I've found them to be essential!
    I did a 12-miler on Saturday that felt great! Today's 6-miler was torture. I know where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The good thing by a bad run is that the good run that follows it takes all the doubt away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey! Just wanted to let you know I signed up officially for the Hamptons Half!

    also started a new blog in honor of it... The Wordy Runner at blogspot dot com. Good name for me, right? It was a toss-up between that and "The Lazy Runner."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...